Sunday 29 August 2010

Interview with Al from the Watch

by Nitta
You remind me of Officer Gotcha from Jamie and the Magic Torch. Where does the idea to wear a helmet* comes from? 
- It started about 4 or 5 Cons ago: I signed up for the Watch then. Next time I came up with the squeaky truncheon, and then next time again with a policeman’s helmet. At the 2008 con I had a flashing light fitted on it and then I thought this time I’d come up with something more silly, so I put a siren on it – it’s actually meant for bicycles. It seems to amuse peple – and that’s the main thing.

Which was the firs convention you went to?
- It was about 13 years ago – at that time not all of them were called cons, there were some yearly events as well, more like big camping events. I’ve been doing the Watch for a couple of cons, and when 2 years ago Dónal couldn’t do it I joined in as Commander of the Watch with Gabe.

Who’s your favourite character on the Discworld?
- That’s a tricky one. Probably Archchancellor Ridcully.

And here the interview ended as Terry’s Saturday booksigning began, and the Watch had a lot to do all at once.

*: Editor's note: Al had, as official watch head-wear acquired a "Bobby" style helmet with a loudspeaker on top, permitting him to sound a divers number of alarums. We were all terribly amused.

No comments: