Thursday 2 September 2010

Adversity - Ssrienna's Story Part 2

By Jan Uzzel (Ssrienna)

Friday

And the Con changed! It started normally. I actually got up at 0700 and went swimming (as I promised my self I’d try to do for all of the on!). Then went back up to shower and go for breakfast. I thought I’d put the bath mat close enough to the shower door, but as I put my left foot out, my wet heel touched tile and – whoosh - I was on the floor!

I think the only reason I didn’t do more damage, is that I’m cautious getting out of strange showers and had hold of the shower frame. So instead of hitting my head, I clipped my right shin on the upright (very colourful bruising), banged & wrenched knee on shower step, wrenched hip and hit left side (another colourful bruise, which I didn’t discover until Sat morning) and clipped left elbow.

After teaching the bathroom a few choice Anglo-Saxon phrases (some of which I’d forgotten I knew), I checked that there was nothing broken, crawled upright, got dressed and “Went to Ops” … very slowly!

Donal was on duty and, Angel of Mercy that he is, swooped and made satisfactorily impressed noises of concern. Unfortunately his 1st Aid bags were on a side trip of their own, having decided to pay the extra to see the luggage fleshpots of Gatwick airport, so he was with out cold packs. One call to the Hotel 1st Aiders later and I had ice in a napkin on the bruising.

Donal was just trying to work out how to do his job, while holding an ice pack to my leg, when the 2nd Angel of Mercy appeared. Henry Proctor had arrived and, discovering that Registration wasn’t open yet, had come to Ops to volunteer his services as a gopher. Donal recruited him gleefully as my “Ice Pack Holder”. They then discovered that I had not had breakfast, at which 3 Committee members asked what I wanted!

So one of the more surreal memories I have from this Con is being served a full English breakfast, with orange juice and tea, in Ops with a young man holding an ice pack to my leg!

Donal had also recommended that I go to A&E just to check that the knee and hip weren’t damaged more than just wrenched. The hotel paid for a taxi there & back again and Henry kindly accompanied me there (Solihull A&E). We were in and out in about 2 hours, clutching some heavy-duty painkillers – nothing broken or dislocated - huzzah!

I also had a crutch to use – which was a lifesaver. Although, I threatened so many people at the Guild Fayre, where I was the Stunt Double for my illustrious and talented Guild Deputy (Essy) who was at RHDS rehearsals, that the Watch made me have a Watch tag (i.e. “This crutch is harmless. It’s owner, however, we make no promises regarding” – thanks Jenny!)

What I remember about the rest of Friday, apart from the opening Ceremony, which was fun, is catching up with a lot of friends – Lottie (who became my personal gopher for the Con – thanks again!), Gemma, Dom, Mole, Lisa (CCA), Gideon, Jenny, Rgemini, Eric, Adrian, Gid & Suzi, Ali from #afp, Kerry Ann, Essy, Xris and lots more and making new friends – all of whom were considerate and kind about the injury and suitably impressed with the bruises and description!

I also made sure that I was registered for Maskerade, got to see the Audience with Stephen Briggs (complete with the Princess Bride sword – drool!) which was wonderful, and attended the afternoon at the Ankh-Morpork Palladium (which I was unable to participate in as I’d stupidly left the words to Lisa’s filk in my room) but the ladies who did take part were FABULOUS (Jacqui, Lady Pinque, Essy, and someone who did Magrat, whose name I didn’t catch).

I also hobbled to Once More with Feeling, where I met Eric, Stu, Edmund, Gid and other talented musicians whose names I didn’t catch for a most enjoyable singing session. Runesmith sang a brilliant D&D inspired song “My gods’ better than your gods” and they indulged my requests to sing “Bonny Black Hare” and a Tom Leherer song “I hold your hand in mine”. Off to bed at gone 0200, tired but very happy!

No comments: