Thursday 2 September 2010

Blood, Guts and Misdirection - The Werewolf Report

by Darrock, Guild of Seamstresses

I was stumbling around, feeling somewhat lost, when I came across a village. It seemed a pleasant enough village to me, with sprawling vineyards (which made very pleasant wine), meandering apple orchards with trees seemingly straight from the garden of Eden itself (which made a very pleasant cider) and some farming bits so you wouldn’t starve.

Suffice to say, I decided to stay overnight at the local inn, so that I could continue my wanderings the following day. The innkeeper looked somewhat nervously at me, but could not say no to the cash I brandished and so he let me stay. He did give warnings to close and lock the doors and windows at night and I wondered idly at the sincerity in his voice since there did not seem a reason to block out the warm summer air.

The following morning, I woke to cries of alarm and concern. The villagers wailed and a great ruckus ensued. I dressed and packed, unsure of what was happening, but certain that the villagers were in distress. As I ventured downstairs, I noticed a group of four burly farmers in quiet conversation with the innkeeper, who was gesticulating frantically but keeping his voice low.

As they saw me come down the stairs, one of the farmers accosted me and demanded to know what the farmer had told me last night. I told them that he had warned me to lock doors and windows and for some reason they seemed satisfied by this and left.

As I was preparing to leave the town, I saw a large crowd gathered round an old yew tree. Being inquisitive by nature, I strolled across to enquire of the happenings and discovered, to my horror, that a young lady was being hung. In morbid fascination, I spoke to various people to discover that a small child had been savaged and killed overnight and that the townspeople blamed this poor lady of the crime, believing her to be a werewolf.

After this, I left the village hastily, feeling that perhaps I should avoid such insane retributions in case the finger of blame should shift my way. After all, the meal last night had been very nice, but there were always other villages, less aware of the dangers than this one...

Werewolf was a very enjoyable game, held in over this weekend and it was great fun. If you have not had a chance to join in a game, do try to make the time and see what the fuss is all about.

No comments: