Thursday 2 September 2010

A Song and Dance - Ssrienna's Story Part 5

by Jan Uzzell (Ssrienna)


Monday

All too soon the fateful day dawns – the end of the DW Con 2010!

I spent most of the morning nattering with more friends and trying to take Donal’s advice of trying to rest the leg (the bruises are still fairly flamboyant but the knee is really stiff and sore – sigh) Then off to Rocky Horror Discworld Show...what can I say that hasn’t already been said in other Con reports!

They were BRILLIANT! The cast, the sets, the narrator (Pat again!), the songs – all wonderful. I think my favourite bit is when Carrot (“dwarf”) is doing the Brad bit having just met an unusual Patrician and he says “Can we use your phone?” followed by “Go back to our car” and after each time he turns to Angua (“werewolf”) to mouth in complete confusion “phone” and “car”! Priceless again! Then they did the time warp with the ENTIRE con joining in (I tried from my seat ;)

They retired to Biers where they allowed people to take photos!!




After some more gossiping with old friends and new, it was then time for the closing ceremony. The first part went in a bit of a blur! All I could remember was “Oh God! We’ve got to go up and collect a trophy again” I still can’t believe it and yet I can turn my head and see it in my cabinet behind me!

I believe the Guild of Seamstresses won the Guild competition. As I was part of the Bonk Operatic Society, a non-competing guild so technically we couldn’t lose, I hadn’t kept up with all the guild activities, although I did hear of the “how many people can you stuff under a crinoline?”[1]

Then Brian had the stage and called up all the wonderful people who made up the Committee this year. A lot of thoroughly well deserved cheering and clapping followed all the people who’d given up seeing programme items, sleep, food and (almost) alcohol to make this, in Terry’s words, the BEST CONVENTION EVER!

We did speculate whether there would be another (Terry said there would be!) and who would Chair it … the photo says it all!


Here’s a HUGE thank you to all the committee members for a wonderful time and am looking forward to the next one in 2012. Who knows, I may even make some of the other ones! I’m definitely getting the habit!! How do I end this … Oh I know!

Fat Lady Has Sung!


[1] Apparently 15 – I’ve seen the photos!

No comments: