Monday 25 August 2008

Crossing the Newbiecon - a First Timer's View

I've been a Pratchett fan for years but I've never been to a Convention before, so it was with some nervousness that I approached the Birmingham Hilton on Friday afternoon. Would there be enough to do? Would I be bored? Would I end up sitting in a corner on my own?

As it turned out, of course, the answer to all these questions was a resounding: "No." The main problem I had wasn't finding something to do, it was choosing which events to go to. Candle making or discussion of Terry Pratchett's literary merits? 'Create Your Own Religion' or 'How to Buckle a Swash'? The Folklore Society or Alfred Russell Wallace? Next time I'm going to have to bring a procrastinator so I can fit everything in. As to sitting alone, I've met friends I haven't seen for years, friends I've never met face to face before and friends I didn't know existed until this weekend.

Highlights of my weekend were Terry's Bedtime Stories, alt.fan.pratchett's Hedgehog Party on Saturday night (and Sunday morning), the Maskerade, the Church of Om, Jaqueline Simpson's talk on the folklore of the Discworld and the short but interesting (and hilarious) history of the Vikings in Britain (How To Buckle A Swash). But the thing I'll remember most is the sheer amount of fun being had by everyone I saw.

As a final note, I'd like to thank the Con committee and the staff of the Hilton hotel, who made it a memorable and enjoyable experience for this particular convention newbie.

Diane L.
Guild of Explorers, Librarians and Wandering Teachers

No comments: