Sunday 24 August 2008

A Wizard's Report – Day 2 Sunday

To avoid any confusion as to which day it is, the title of this report has been altered. We, the editors, regret any confusion bought about by previous stupidity on the part of Darrock and have ensured that Darrock got the clip round the ear that he deserved.

Ouch! Ok, so it's Sunday. After a brief, interrupted by small cries for food, night of rest, we returned to the venue. Let's get straight into the madness.

The Church of Om: Having missed the Wake Up with Wizards event at 7.30 in the morning (who are those Wizards getting up at that time… must be students who have not gone to bed yet), we arrived in time to join in with the service. This was an event that I had been privileged enough to see last year and which was even better second time around. The singing, the sermons, the revelations at the end and even the venue were superb for the event and I joined in whenever I could catch breath from laughing. If you missed this, you missed a real treat, along with of course inviting the wrath of Om.

Bernard Pearson's Passive Smoking for Beginners: On my way to swashbuckling, I noticed a queue… This queue was outside of the Dysk and I was under the impression, having carefully read my timetable, that it was not in use this hour. After making enquiries of someone in the queue, I discovered, to my horror, that Bernard's event had been moved forward!!!!! I flipped a coin and prayed for guidance from Om and was led to join this queue.

I am incredibly glad that I did. Bernard is a very charismatic person and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to him talk about all kinds of things. With thoughts of Bernard with ladies underwear on the outside of jeans and the incredibly hush, hush trade cards that we're not allowed to mention yet, I left with a huge smile.

Puppet Show: Having returned from Bernard's rather sooner than expected, I went off to view the puppet show. Since I have written a review of this show elsewhere, I will omit it from here.

Stephen Briggs Masterclass: I was not certain quite what this event would entail. As it turned out, it involved a discussion about the trials and tribulations of creating the maps of Ankh Morpork and the Discworld. Stephen spoke eloquently regarding how they went about constructing the cityscape that, up until that time, had only ever been in Terry's head. This challenge was not at all straightforward and I was incredibly impressed at the time and energy spent in creating such a detailed work.

Find the Time: Some friendly folks had spent some time (excuse the pun) creating a treasure hunt round the Discworld corridors of the hotel. Darpebble and I spent a frustrating, confusing and eventually rewarding time wandering the corridors in search of piccies. We did manage to get them all (Darpebble: I found the last one daddy!) and arrived back in the Cavern with seconds to spare to receive our just rewards – a laminated picture and a chocolate treat for Darpebble.

Sex on the Disc: Harrumph, harrumph. Less said about this the better. Some wickedly funny jokes and a lot of entertaining discussions regarding whether a Nac Mac Feegle society could exist. Good fun had by all concerned.

Dealers' Room: Wow, I managed to find half an hour to wander around the spectacular stalls in the dealers' room. It always amazed me that people can produce such fine pieces of work, some of which is Discworld related, some of which is not.


That's it for day 2 Sunday. More tomorrow, although obviously the schedule is somewhat shorter for the last day of the Con.

Darrock (Wizard, 1st Class – Unseen University Guild).

No comments: